22 September 2007

Yom Kippur

I went to a local synagogue for Yom Kippur, which is physically located, conveniently enough for an aging Jewish community, in a Jewish senior citizens' home. People were very welcoming, kind, and nice. Among others, on Friday night I met an American couple, Pam and Jeff. Pam lived a block from me in Brooklyn and worked in the same courthouse downtown at the same time as me. She's now at the ICJ; she works in Peter's office -- the guy whose apartment I'm at.

Also, I met a very warm and friendly guy Alex. Saturday night we were invited to the Rabbi's house for break-the-fast dinner. The rabbis is also from Brooklyn, naturally. After dinner, Alex took me for a little walking tour of the neighborhood and we also met an American kid he knows, Mark, who has basically lived his whole life here in The Hague. Mark said he tried to go back to Long Island once, but gave up and returned to Europe.

No comments: