01 October 2007

"Big" News

I got a cell phone. And a rain suit -- which is perfect for riding to work in the rain, since it seems to do that every single day. And.... an apartment! ! The Rabbi connected me with a very nice guy who has recently taken a job in Amsterdam. He's mostly living there, but coming back on some weekends. He has a very nice two bedroom and I will take up one bedroom. On the plus side, it's right next to the central train station; on the minus side, it's right next to the central train station -- and I mean right next to -- so I hope I can sleep at night. The roommate is an older guy and religious too, so I'm about to have a crash course in keeping a kosher kitchen.


Today there was a hearing. The courtroom is gorgeous and very different. I'll have to recount in due course, but tonight we had a very lovely (and very European) team dinner and now it's a bit late.

In brief, I didn't sit with the defense during the first hour, and I imagine the news photogs took their shots and left, so you probably won't see me. But here's the AP's version of today's events: Prosecutors in Congo warlord trial want witnesses protected from reprisals And from another wire service: Trial date uncertain

The simultaneous translation (through headphones) is pretty sweet. If only I could wear such things at all times....

1 comment:

nasancheyev said...

Adam -- this is GREAT STUFF to read! Thanks for writing! We're here on the other side of the pond cheering you on...