07 October 2007

More Photos

I went to Amsterdam for a conference on Friday. I was happy to see that I am well represented there:








I met up with my dear friend Katharina for lunch. After the conference, I met up with my good friend Elad, with whom I lived in Israel in 1998-99.




Elad is working (in Israel) for a Swedish company and was on his way to Sweden for business. En route, he spent two days in Amsterdam and then came down to spend two days with me in The Hague. We spent Saturday walking about in The Hague; the weather was beautiful.








This is where the Queen works (she lives in the next town over).




This is the International Court of Justice. Andrew Carnegie gave the money to found the institution, hoping it would ensure world peace and end war permanently. It opened one year before world war one.

Incidentally, I don't work here -- I work at the International Criminal Court, which is housed in the former headquarters of the national phone company. Think big Verizon building -- much less nice.



Finally, this is the sunset over the beach at Scheveningen, the fancy end of town. While the Netherlands was occupied by the Germans during World War II, Germans learned Dutch and attempted to infiltrate the Dutch resistance. As a result, the Dutch started using the word "Scheveningen" as a password, since no matter how good their Dutch, this word was still unpronounceable for the Germans. And everyone else.

No comments: